Losing a job or other income can be a devastating blow for a family. In today’s tough economy it can take months to find a new or better-paying job. But it doesn’t have to mean the end of your American dream.
Last year Ohio received $570 million for the Restoring Stability program. It is designed to help struggling homeowners, including the unemployed or underemployed, avoid foreclosure.
Restoring Stability benefits include up to $25,000 for the following programs:
• Rescue Payment Assistance Program provides a payment to the mortgage lender to help delinquent borrowers become current on their first mortgage.
• Mortgage Payment Assistance Program provides up to 15 months of assistance for certain unemployed and underemployed homeowners while they search for a job or participate in job training.
• Modification with Contribution Assistance Program which provides homeowners an opportunity to qualify for a loan modification by offering funds to servicers to cover eligible past due payments instead of adding them to the loan balance.
• Lien Cancellation Program which provides up to $25,000 in funds to pay off a principal balance in return for the lender's release of the mortgage lien.
• Transition Assistance Program provides an incentive payment to the mortgage servicer and homeowner to assist with short sale or deed-in-lieu agreements to help homeowners exit their homes gracefully.
Note: To be eligible, homeowners must meet certain income and asset tests, and must have a qualifying hardship. Housing counseling agencies work with homeowners throughout Ohio to determine if they qualify for assistance.
How to Apply
1. Call ESOP! 216-361-0718 or toll free 877-731-ESOP.
2. Make an appointment – Appointments will be scheduled at the ESOP location nearest you. (List of locations
4. Apply for assistance. (http://www.ohiohome.org/restoringstability/
) Begin the process by completing all seven parts of the Restoring Stability online application. At your intake appointment ESOP counselors will help you determine what program or solution best fits your circumstances.